Desert To The Sea Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Help us Sound the Alarm
This fall, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Anyone can register to help and training is provided! Here are the volunteer positions available:
Smoke Alarm Installer— Conduct home visits on installation day to test, replace
and/or install smoke alarms.
Disaster Safety Educator— Provide education to residents on fire safety and local hazards, and assist residents in completing a home fire escape plan.
Documenter/Reporter— Document the services provided during the home visit and complete forms and reports.
If you are interested in learning more about volunteer opportunities, please reach out to the appropriate contact:
Upcoming Home Fire Campaign EventsSign Up For An Event
For questions or for more information about local Home Fire Campaign events, please contact Amy Estey at email@example.com or (714) 481-5337.
If you would like to request a free smoke alarm installation, contact your local chapter.
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In the Desert To The Sea region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Red Cross, Orange County Fire Authority and Community Partners Set Local Smoke Alarm Record
In 2016, 175 volunteers from the American Red Cross, Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA), the City of Santa Ana, and other community partners installed a record 1,166 free smoke alarms for residents in Santa Ana’s Central City neighborhood.
Other Ways To Help
1. Share Your Red Cross Story
Share how the Red Cross has helped you when the unexpected happened.
Engage your organization to help implement fire safety programs in your community
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Desert To The Sea region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.