Los Angeles Area Home Fire Safety
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020
Can your family escape in just 2 minutes? You can keep your family safe with 2 simple steps.
Step 1. Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape a home fire in under 2 minutes. Use our worksheets (found in the resource links below) to plan and prepare your 2-minute drill today.
Step 2. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn't working, change the batteries.
Join the Home Fire Campaign!
During Home Fire Campaign events, teams of three volunteers canvass pre-selected neighborhoods to provide home fire safety information to local residents, help families create a working fire escape plan and install free smoke alarms. Events generally run from 8 am – 3 pm on Saturdays. Many volunteers sign up to help out on their own or with school clubs, community groups and professional organizations. Breakfast and Lunch is provided and new friends are guaranteed!
Anyone can register to help and training is provided! Here are the volunteer positions available:
Smoke Alarm Installer— Conduct home visits on installation day to test, replace
and/or install smoke alarms.
Disaster Safety Educator— Provide education to residents on fire safety and local hazards, and assist residents in completing a home fire escape plan.
Documenter/Reporter— Document the services provided during the home visit and complete forms and reports.
First Time Volunteering for the Home Fire Campaign?
We can’t wait to see you at an installation event soon! In the meantime, if you want to learn more about our Home Fire Campaign events, just watch this video about Home Fire Campaign volunteers in action. You can also familiarize yourself about smoke alarm installations and fire safety by watching these: Home Visit Safety Training, Educator Training or Installer Training.
Upcoming Home Fire Campaign Events
The Los Angeles Region is hosting fire safety events to help families prepare for and prevent home fires. We need volunteers to help install smoke alarms, complete fire safety checklists and create fire escape plans with local families.
If you would like to request a smoke alarm installation please click here.
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.
In the Los Angeles region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Kidde Helps Red Cross Prevent Home Fires Deaths and Injuries
More Home Fire Safety Resources
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Minnesota region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.