San Diego Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?
Help us Sound the Alarm
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Partner With UsGet Involved and Help Save Lives
We regularly host smoke alarm installation events throughout San Diego and Imperial Counties. We're always looking for volunteers to install smoke alarms, provide residents with fire safety and preparedness information, and more. Your involvement can help save lives.
Interested in getting involved as an individual, group, or team? Please contact Allison Dedonato (858-309-1272, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In the San Diego region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
A Local Story From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Home Fire In San Diego
When a local San Diego family experienced a fatal home fire, their community was devastated. The affected family wanted to help prepare their neighbors, in hopes of preventing other families from experiencing the same tragedy that had caused them so much grief.
That’s when the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties partnered with City of San Diego Councilmember Marti Emerald, The Burn Institute and the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department to install smoke alarms in the Mountain View and Mount Hope communities during their local the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. Overall, volunteers installed 132 smoke alarms in 38 households during the Day of Service.
“We saved lives today,” said Red Cross volunteer Cyndy Hoffman, who has participated in multiple smoke alarm installation events. “Every time I do it, I feel so fortunate to be participating in something so important.”
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The San Diego region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.