- Adult – An adult (18 +) who used lifesaving skills to save or attempt to save the lives of others or has helped to improve the welfare of their community.
- Animal - An animal that has protected a human or another animal in a time of need, or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
- Community Partner – A local organization that has administered exceptional safety and preparedness measures to protect staff and prepare for emergencies.
- Fire and Rescue – A professional rescuer (firefighter, EMS personnel, etc.) whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Humanitarian Award – A person or an organization that is committed to humanitarian aid efforts locally, nationally and internationally.
- Law Enforcement - A professional law enforcement officer whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Military - A member of the armed forces (active, reserve, retired, commissioned or noncommissioned) whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his/her job to help another in critical need or improve the welfare of the military community.
- Youth – A youth (age 17 and under) who has gone to the aid of those in need and/or has helped to improve the welfare of their community.
Once we receive all nominations, we invite local community leaders and event sponsors to select a winner for each category.
Please use the form below to nominate your Real Hero. If needed, please use additional sheets, news clips or photographs to describe your nominee’s heroic act.
Fax: (858) 309-1285
American Red Cross
Attn: Real Heroes
3950 Calle Fortunada
San Diego, CA 92123
- All of the requested contact information
- Description explaining why your hero deserves to be recognized
- Supporting documents such as news articles and photographs