Hawaii Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Can your family escape in just 2 minutes? You can keep your family safe with 2 simple steps.
Step 1. Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape a home fire in under 2 minutes. Use our worksheets (found in the resource links below) to plan and prepare your 2-minute drill today.
Step 2. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn't working, change the batteries.
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?You can sign up for free smoke alarms by calling 808-739-8111
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 MinutesIn Hawaii, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Read A Local Story From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Kaimuki Resident Expresses Gratitude for the Home Fire Program
100-year old Kaimuki resident Eunice Masumura and her daughter Muriel Masumura were happy to have Red Cross volunteers, the Honolulu Fire Department, and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union 1186, come to their home to install free smoke alarms and share fire safety information with them. “We are both seniors and so I know it’s important to have smoke alarms,” said Muriel. “I am so grateful that the Red Cross has this program.”
How You Can Help
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for seniors, those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms, or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Hawaii region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.