Central and Southern Illinois Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need a Smoke Alarm?
Together we installed 1 million smoke alarms –a major milestone achieved!
Help save lives in your community.
Every day, seven people die in home fires, most in homes that lack working smoke alarms. Sadly, children and the elderly disproportionately lose their lives. The American Red Cross wants to improve the odds and save lives, that’s why we launched our Home Fire Campaign in 2014.
A critical part of the campaign is Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events across the country. Red Cross volunteers, along with fire departments and other partners canvass at-risk neighborhoods, installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms, and providing fire prevention and safety education. In just three years, we’ve accomplished so much, including the installation of more than 1 million smoke alarms and prepared more than 1 million people against home fires through our home visits.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Volunteers are needed throughout the Central and Southern Illinois Region to assist with smoke alarm installations and educating residents on the importance of having a home fire escape plan. We are recruiting volunteers for appointment-based installation teams and rally event installation teams. Volunteers will receive training and will work in teams of three. We welcome individual volunteers and encourage civic organizations and businesses to participate. For more information about volunteering for the Home Fire Campaign, please email Bryce.Goff@redcross.org.
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Central & Southern Illinois, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Installed more than 11,993 smoke alarms
Helped make more than 4,996 households safer
Created more than 3,975 home fire escape plans
12,753 people served
Replaced more than 448 smoke alarm batteries
Can your family escape in just 2 minutes? You can keep your family safe with 2 simple steps.
Step 1. Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape a home fire in under 2 minutes. Use our worksheets (found in the resource links below) to plan and prepare your 2-minute drill today.
Step 2. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn't working, change the batteries.
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm Regional Sponsors
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
1. The Red Cross provides free smoke alarm installation services for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross provides specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf and/or hard of hearing.
3. The Red Cross Central and Southern Illinois Region provides appointment-based services in the 78 counties in the Central and Southern Region.
4. If you live outside of the geographical area that this Region serves and would like to find out if a Region in your area provides free, appointment-based services, please visit RedCross.org to identify your local Region office and their contact information.
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire to learn more about home fire preparedness.