Celena Roldán, M.S.W., M.Ed. joined the American Red Cross of Chicago & Northern Illinois as CEO in March of 2016. Prior to joining the Red Cross, Roldán was the Executive Director of Erie Neighborhood House in Chicago. Roldán serves as the Vice Board Chair for Illinois Action for Children and on the Head Start Governing Board for Metropolitan Family Services. Most recently she was selected as a board member to the National Board of the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) the nation’s largest Hispanic Civil Rights and Advocacy organization, and to the City of Chicago’s Community Development Commission. She is also a member of the Economic Club, a Leadership Greater Chicago Fellow and a Marshall Memorial Fellow; an initiative sponsored by the German Marshall Fund of the United States that enlists a select group of leaders from Europe and North America for cross-cultural dialogue related to social issues and policy decisions. Most recently, Roldan was honored by the United Way of Metropolitan Chicago with the 2016 Community Leader Award. Roldán holds a master's degree in early childhood administration from National Louis University, as well as a master’s and a bachelor’s degrees in social work from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Jill Schaaf | Board Chair, Baxter Healthcare (Retired)
- Richard Ashworth | Walgreen Co.
- Brenda Battle | University of Chicago Medicine & Biological Sciences
- Jay D. Bergman | Petco Petroleum Corporation
- Shan Bhati | Daniel J. Edelman, Inc.
- Aileen B. Blake | Northern Trust Company
- Robin B. Boren | Pivotal Home Solutions
- Eduardo Conrado | Motorola Solutions
- Fred Costello | W. W. Grainger, Inc.
- Deirdre Drake | US Cellular Corporation
- Theodore (Ted) L. Dysart | Heidrick & Struggles
- R. Scott Falk | Kirkland & Ellis, LLP
- Paul M. Gallagher | Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Peggy Hardek | PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Matthew F. Hilzinger | USG Corporation
- Harsh Koppula | CGN & Associates
- A. Kyle Mack M.D. | Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Ryan McKendrick | AMCOL International (Retired)
- Kevin Newell | McDonald’s USA, LLC (Retired)
- Susan B. Noyes | Make It Better Foundation
- Cheryl Scott | ABC – Channel 7
- Kelly T. Smith | AON Benfield
- Alicia Tate-Nadeau | Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communication
- Paul Sternlieb | Illinois Tool Works, Inc
- James H. Wildman | William Blair & Company
- Vicki Znavor | The PrivateBank
- Christopher D. Bowers
- Bob Chodos
- Brian J. Cook
- Sidney N. Doolittle
- John P. Grube
- Kary McIlwain
- Janis K. Tratnik
- James A. Unnerstall
- Jeanine L. Pekkarinen | American Dental Association
- Celena Roldán | Chief Executive Officer
- Dawn Breen | Regional Volunteer Officer
- Hilary Duerksen | Director, Service to the Armed Forces and International Services
- Harley Jones | Regional Disaster Officer
- Heidi Mucha | Regional Chief Development Officer
- Joy Squier | Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
- Darrin Utynek | Regional Chief Operating Officer
Dawn has worked for the American Red Cross for more than thirteen years, holding both programming and operations positions. She has managed facilities, volunteers, instructors and staff through many organizational changes. Dawn was instrumental in the development of the biomedical facilities structure and remodeling. She served as the liaison among city officials, union representatives, contractors, as well as the internal executive team and the fundraising department. She is currently responsible for developing and executing the volunteer recruitment and engagement strategy for the Region. Prior to the Red Cross, Dawn was a senior product manager with Shurfine International, Inc, managing a sales team where she doubled sales from $150 million to $300 million. Dawn has her bachelor’s in business administration focusing on human resources management from Millikin University and her MBA from Keller Graduate School of Management.
Hilary Duerksen spent her undergraduate years at the University of Minnesota getting her BA in Global Studies: Governance, Peace and Justice focused on Latin America. Her experience as an AmeriCorps *NCCC member led her to begin her career with the American Red Cross. Hilary spent over four years with the Disaster Services department focusing on improving services to disaster clients, developing and engaging a volunteer contingency for large scale disasters and developing new relationships to extend the reach of the Service to Armed Forces program. She is now a member of the executive committee for the Chicago & Northern IL Region as the Director of International Services & Service to the Armed Forces. In this role, she has the honor of serving the international and military communities of northern Illinois by connecting them with family members during or following an emergency, providing psychosocial support and collaborating to meet their emergency needs.
Harley began with the Red Cross in 2004 as an AmeriCorps National Service volunteer responding to local disasters and teaching community preparedness. As the Disaster Officer, Harley oversees the Red Cross’ Disaster Services through Chicago and Northern Illinois covering more than 9.5 million people. Most recently, he has led the organization’s push to adopt a more data driven approach to community outreach for the most vulnerable citizens, focusing on meaningful outcomes and actionable intelligence. He has represented the organization at more than 10 national disasters and as a representative of the American National Red Cross at forums around the world. Prior to joining the American Red Cross he was adjunct faculty in history at Illinois Central College. He received a master’s in history at Illinois State University in 2005.
Heidi joined the Red Cross in 2001 serving in several development roles in the organization before being named CDO in 2008. She has managed direct marketing, annual giving and special events programs and has led the marketing and communications team. She launched the Heroes Breakfast which brings significant support and visibility to the Region, and is now an annual event. Before joining the Red Cross Heidi served as associate director of annual events at the Newberry Library in Chicago.
Joy is a seasoned marketing and communications executive who oversees all communications and marketing functions including traditional and social media relations, government affairs, events marketing and programs, and internal communications for the organization. Joy is a national spokesperson for the American Red Cross. Previously, she served as Director of Field Marketing for the Top Ten Regions of the Red Cross, where she oversaw the planning and development of integrated marketing and communications strategies and programs for the largest regions within the Red Cross. Prior to joining the Red Cross, Joy was the Director of Marketing and Communications at Waste Management leading the $4B Public Sector and Recycling business segments' strategic marketing and communications initiatives. She also gained valuable expertise at Hewlett Packard charged with directing marketing and communications strategy and execution for category-leading and award-winning consumer product lines. Joy holds an MBA in marketing from the Kellogg Graduate School of Business at Northwestern University and is a graduate of the University of Illinois, with a degree in advertising.
Darrin joined the Red Cross as the Regional Chief Operating Officer in 2015. Darrin manages the day-to-day facility operations, administrative and back office support functions, and is responsible for the oversight of two Executive Directors in Chicago and 21 counties in Northern Illinois. Prior to joining the Red Cross, Darrin served in a variety of leadership roles for 15 years at nonprofits including the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago and a property management and development company, The Habitat Company, where he was responsible for the strategic planning of company-wide initiatives and business operations with over 750 union and non-union team members in five states.
- Jeanine Pekkarinen | Auxiliary Society Chair
- Jason Baumann | Marketing Chair
- Sally Taylor | Membership Chair
- Amy Fabbiano | Mingling for a Mission Co-Chair
- Andrea Metzger | Mingling for a Mission Co-Chair
- Allison Whitley | Team Red Cross Chair