AmeriCorps engages service minded Americans in intensive community outreach each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country.
Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 800,000 AmeriCorps members have contributed over 1 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve.
AmeriCorps members help achieve the American Red Cross mission by focusing on under resourced communities providing much needed services that community members may not be able to afford.
AmeriCorps members are dedicated to providing disaster preparedness education to underserved neighborhoods, schools, and communities and also responding to the needs of individuals and families when an emergency does occur. Additionally members engage the community with Red Cross health and safety programs including CPR, First Aid, emergency preparedness training, programming for individuals with disabilities and functional needs, youth programs and more.
Safe Families IL AmeriCorps members serve selected communities across Illinois by providing disaster preparedness, health, safety and youth safety programs. Programs vary in length from 30 minutes to seven hours and are available for all ages.
Interested? Please review the Course List and Fill out the course interest form. We will follow up with you upon submission of the form.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in the community? Do you want to gain new skills and experiences? Are you passionate about empowering people to prepare for and recover from disasters and emergencies?
The American Red Cross is currently seeking 27 individuals to serve as full-time AmeriCorps Team members from August 22, 2016 through July 22, 2017. See the AmeriCorps Position Description.
Service Locations May Include: Chicago, Romeoville, Kankakee, DeKalb, St. Charles, Peoria, Springfield, Swansea, Rockford, Quincy, Bloomington and Moline.
- Invaluable experience from a nationally and internationally-respected organization for school, a future job or new career
- Extensive training
- $5,775 AmeriCorps Education Award (upon successful completion of service term commitment and 1700 hours of service)
- Living stipend paid bi-weekly
- Basic Health Insurance for AmeriCorps member
- Subsidized childcare
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- Successfully serve in the position, serve 35 hours a week and meet the 1700 minimum requirement for a full term of service
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Must be 18 years of age at the start date of service
- Have a valid Driver's License & clean driving record
- Pass required criminal background checks
- Members should also be comfortable working with a wide variety of people from all walks of life and backgrounds, and respect the American Red Cross fundamental principles.
TO APPLY: Submit application to Click here to Apply Online.
1. Enter Project Type | AmeriCorps State/National
2. Enter State | Illinois
3. Enter Program Name | Safe Families and click on the red search button
4. Click on Interested Position(s)
For more information please visit My Americorps.gov
PLEASE NOTE: AmeriCorps team position offers are contingent upon AmeriCorps funding notification.