Indiana Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need a Smoke Alarm?
Red Cross volunteers will install free smoke alarms and test existing alarms. The Red Cross also installs specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Help us Sound the Alarm
This fall, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Stay tuned for more information and make sure to join us to Sound the Alarm in Indiana on Saturday September 23 – Sunday October 15 as we install thousands of free smoke alarms.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Thank You To Our Partners
Community Foundation of Elkhart County
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Indiana, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Installed more than 15,000 smoke alarms
Created 5,500 escape plans
Reached 16,000 youth with preparedness information
Read Stories From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Indiana region provides installation services in Indiana only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.