Nebraska Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Can your family escape in just 2 minutes? You can keep your family safe with 2 simple steps.
Step 1. Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape a home fire in under 2 minutes. Use our worksheets (found in the resource links below) to plan and prepare your 2-minute drill today.
Step 2. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn't working, change the batteries.
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Nebraska and Southwest Iowa the Red Cross and its partners have:
Stories From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Danielle and Chris White share their story of the loss of their son and tell why it's important to prepare for a home fire.
How You Can HelpGet Involved and Help Save Lives
The Home Fire Campaign is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for groups and individuals. Help save lives by visiting homes to install smoke alarms and educate residents about fire safety.
If you are under 18 and will be volunteering without your parents, please download, fill out and bring this form with you.
Would you like more information about the American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign?
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Nebraska - Southwest Iowa Region provides installation services in Nebraska and Southwest Iowa only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.