Someone who has done something extraordinary for someone else this year? Someone who has saved a life or responded courageously to a disaster? Now is your chance to honor them. The American Red Cross is seeking nominations for the 10th Annual Real Heroes Awards.
Every day ordinary people make extraordinary contributions by putting their needs aside to help others in our community. The American Red Cross is honored to salute these unsung heroes. Your hero might be a lifeguard who saved a drowning child, an ordinary citizen who performed CPR when a stranger collapsed at a shopping mall, or who saved a neighbor’s beloved pets from a fire.
- Adult Good Samaritan: Presented to an ordinary citizen above the age of 18, for an extraordinary act of heroism or courage.
- Animal Hero: Presented to an animal that saved the life of a human, an ordinary citizen who used lifesaving skills to save the life of an animal or to a professional involved in the care of animals.
- Firefighter Hero: Presented to a professional or volunteer firefighter for their exceptional service, achievement, contribution, or performed an extraordinary act of courage or kindness (on or off duty).
- Medical Hero: Presented to a doctor, nurse or EMT whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty, or other act of extraordinary kindness (on or off duty).
- Community Impact: Presented to a community group, neighborhood organization, or local company that consistently demonstrates a commitment to making Northern Nevada a safer and more compassionate community
- Youth Good Samaritan: Presented to an ordinary citizen under the age of 18, for an extraordinary act of heroism or courage.
- Education Hero: Presented to an educator who makes a difference in youth or adult students’ lives by inspiring them to attain (& exceed) their goals.
- Law Enforcement Hero: Presented to a law enforcement agent for their exceptional service, achievement, contribution, or performed an extraordinary act of courage or kindness (on or off duty).
- Military Hero: Presented to a member of the armed forces (active, retired, commissioned or non-commissioned) whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty; who contributes to the betterment of his/her unit, or serves as a role model encouraging others to uphold all military ideals.
- Community Service: Presented to an individual in recognition of volunteering their time to help others in the Northern Nevada community
1. Nomination Deadline is February 22, 2013.
2. The act of courage or humanitarian service can be ongoing OR have occurred during the period of January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012.
3. Nominees must reside in Washoe, Carson City, Douglas, Churchill, Lyon, Storey, Mineral, and Nye Counties. (Elko, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander and White Pine Counties will be honored in a future Red Cross Heroes event in September).
4. Award winners will be asked to participate in interviews and photographs for media and promotional purposes.
5. Submit the Nominatin Form by February 22, 2013.
Nominations Mush Be Received By February 22, 2013