Practice fire drills at home.
Use this Home Fire Escape Plan worksheet to plan your evacuation and practice it at least twice a year as a family.
Test your smoke alarms monthly.
Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn’t working, change the batteries.
- Saturday, March 18 - Argyle (call 518-694-5121 for more information)
- Saturday, March 25 - Catskill (call 845-471-0200 for more information)
- Saturday, March 25 - Albany (call 518-694-5121 for more information)
- Saturday, April 8 – Oneonta (click here for more information)
- Saturday, May 6 – Watertown (click here for more information)
To request a visit from a Home Fire Campaign team that can install free smoke alarms in your home, please click here.
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Eastern New York Region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit redcross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.