Home Fire Campaign
Reducing Fire Deaths One Home at a Time
Every year, the American Red Cross Eastern New York Region responds to more than 500 local disasters, and the vast majority of these are home fires. In addition to caring for local fire victims when they have nowhere else to turn, we are committed to promoting fire safety and helping to reduce the number of fire-related deaths and injuries that occur in our region each year.
In partnership with local fire departments, community groups and corporate supporters, we are offering FREE smoke alarms to residents in need and providing fire preparedness education to hundreds of local families through our ongoing Home Fire Campaign.
To request an appointment to have free smoke alarms installed in your home, simply complete the Smoke Alarm Request Form on the right.
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm. 2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. 3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment. 4. The Eastern New York provides installation services in Eastern New York only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS). 5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.
Whether providing relief to families affected by home fires or installing smoke alarms to help prevent fire-related deaths and injuries, the work of the Red Cross is done almost entirely by volunteers.
To learn more about volunteering with the Red Cross as a disaster responder, download this brochure or click here to begin an online application. (When prompted, enter your home zip code and choose “Disaster Services” as your area of interest.)
To get involved with the Home Fire Campaign as a community canvasser, smoke alarm installer and/or fire safety educator, please click here or sign up for an upcoming event in your area.
City of Troy
Click here to volunteer for the first Home Fire Campaign smoke alarm installation event in the City of Troy
Please check back frequently for additional events and locations.
- Albany County
- Albany Fire Department
- Amsterdam Fire Department
- Ancient Order of Hibernians “Boots on the Ground”
- Boy Scouts of America
- City of Albany
- City of Hudson
- City of Hudson Fire Department
- City of Schenectady
- City of Troy
- City of Utica
- Fort Plain Fire Department
- Franklin County Office for the Aging
- Franklin County Office of Emergency Management
- Hamilton Hill Neighborhood Association
- Ilion Fire Department
- Kingston Fire Department
- Poughkeepsie Fire Department
- Refugee Community Health Partnership Program
- Schenectady Fire Department
- Union College Red Cross Club
- West Crescent Fire Department