Greater New York Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need a Smoke Alarm?
Help us Sound the Alarm
This spring, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
Partner With UsGet Involved and Help Save Lives
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In the Greater NY Region, the Red Cross and its partners have:
Step 1. Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape a home fire in under 2 minutes. Use our worksheets (found in the resource links below) to plan and prepare your 2-minute drill today.
Step 2. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Make sure you and your family are alerted as soon as a fire is detected. If the smoke alarm isn't working, change the batteries.
Read Stories From People Helped by the Home Fire Campaign
Thank You To Our Sound The Alarm National Sponsors
Thanks To Our Home Fire Campaign Partners
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish the goals of our Home Fire Campaign. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible that we will forward your request to one of our partner organizations so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Greater NY region provides installation services in their region only. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local region office, please visit RedCross.org (or call 1-800-REDCROSS).
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.