A large disaster in Upstate New York has the potential to interrupt power, water and travel for at least three days. Here is what you, your family and your business need to set aside in order to be 3DayOK:
- Water (one gallon per person, per day)
- Food (non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items)
- First aid kit, medications and medical items
- Flashlight, batteries and battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items, and emergency blanket
- Multipurpose tool
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Extra cash, family and emergency contact information, and map(s) of your area
Make a plan: Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies; identify responsibilities for each member of household or business; and plan what to do if you are separated or have to evacuate.
Be informed: Identify how local authorities will notify you during a disaster and how you will get information; know the difference between weather alerts and warnings; know what actions to take to protect yourself during a disaster; and learn first aid and CPR and how to use an AED because loved ones may be injured and emergency response delayed.