Prepare! is a multi-year initiative created to save lives and livelihoods by preparing individuals and families, schools, businesses and entire communities to bounce back from disasters of all types and sizes. We will help to substantially preserve our region’s economy and assure communities survive after the devastation of a wildfire, flood, severe storm and even a catastrophic earthquake.
- Large disasters and disaster costs are on the rise; in 2012 global disasters cost $140 billion; in 2011 the cost was $380 billion
- According to FEMA, $1 invested in preparedness saves $4 in response; according to the World Bank $1 invested saves $7
- Oregon faces a 1 in 3 chance of a magnitude 8+ earthquake in the next 50 years (U.S. Geological Survey)
- The Western U.S. is at the top of the global list of wildfire risk over the next 30 years (UC Berkley 2012)
- Disasters do not discriminate between cultures, gender or wealth, but their effect does
- Catastrophic disasters threaten jobs. According to the Small Business Administration, up to 40 percent of small businesses fail after a disaster.