What could have been a tragedy Saturday evening for a Covington family, turned out to be a happy ending for an 8-year-old boy and his 86-year-old grandmother.
The Covington Fire Department and Rescue Squad was called to 706 N Augusta Avenue at 8:46 p.m. for a smoke alarm that had been activated.
Upon arrival at 8:48 p.m., Captain Greg Burton and Chief Kevin Pettitt confirmed a working structure fire. Also assisting was the Falling Spring Volunteer Fire Department.
Once on scene, responders discovered an 86 year old grandmother and her 8 year old grandson at the rear of the property. Both were home at the time of the fire and had managed to escape unharmed.
Damage to the structure was estimated at $30,000. The American Red Cross is assisting the family at this time.
The cause was determined to be electrical.
After the fire was marked under control at 9:08 p.m., it was discovered that an October 2015 fire prevention program and free smoke alarm drive coordinated by the Covington Fire Department and the American Red Cross had paid off. The smoke alarms in this structure fire were ones that members of the Covington Fire Department had installed during the drive.
Fire officials said the 8 year old grandson heard the alarms sound and he alerted his great grandmother. Both exited the back of the home and the 8 year old called 911 on his grandmother’s cell phone, as he had learned from “Sparky” the fire dog during fire prevention week.
Officials said there’s no doubt that these two programs helped the fire department in saving the home with a quick response and ensured that the occupants got out fast and safe.