Wisconsin Home Fire Campaign
The Red Cross is working to reduce death and injury from home fires by 25% by 2020.
American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign
Do You Need A Smoke Alarm?
Help us Sound the Alarm
This fall, the Red Cross will launch Sound the Alarm, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events nationwide. Volunteers will install 100,000 free smoke alarms in high risk neighborhoods, culminating in the installation of the one millionth smoke alarm!
Since 2014, the Red Cross, in partnership with fire departments and other local groups, has visited homes installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms and providing fire prevention and safety education to prevent needless tragedies. Join us today in helping to save lives.
Get InvolvedThere are several ways you can get involved with Sound the Alarm:
The Red Cross Responds to a Home Fire or Other Disaster Every 8 Minutes.In Wisconsin the Red Cross and its partners have:
8,288 people served by the Home Fire Campaign
Installed 6,790 smoke alarms
Helped create 2,580 escape plans
Created 2,301 home fire safety checklists
Helped make 3,223 households safer
Replaced 368 smoke alarm batteries
Smoke Alarm Story
This is a true story of a Wisconsin resident who had smoke alarms sitting on his counter, always thinking, I’ll get new batteries tomorrow. Local news and Fire Chief Weiss shares what happened next. Please, don’t put off until tomorrow, what you can do today!
1. The Red Cross and its partners will install a limited number of free smoke alarms for those who cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms or for those who are physically unable to install a smoke alarm.
2. The Red Cross installs a limited number of specialized bedside alarms for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
3. A number of organizations are partnering with the Red Cross to accomplish Home Fire Campaign goals. Depending on where you live and other factors, it is possible we may forward your request to WisSAFE or another partner organization so they can contact you to set up an appointment.
4. The Wisconsin Region provides installation services in Wisconsin and Houston County, Minnesota. If you live outside of this area and would like to identify your local Red Cross office, please visit RedCross.org or call 1-800-REDCROSS.
5. If you are able to purchase and install your own smoke alarm, but would like information on home fire safety and smoke alarm installation, please visit redcross.org/homefire.