As of April, 30 2013; updated results pending
An average of54%moreblood has been collected on participating campuses than before they were in the program.
76campusesare participating in the program and sponsoring Red Cross blood drives.
92student-athleteshave been trained as Red Cross ambassadors.
donated blood for the first time.
Since 2007, thanks to generous funding from State Farm Insurance, the Red Cross has successfully partnered with the NAIA to offer student athletes an amazing opportunity to gain leadership skills and save lives!
Each year the program kicks off with two weeks of energetic training at Red Cross National Headquarters in Washington, D.C. Student-athletes acquire first-hand coaching, mentoring and professional leadership training presented by senior Red Cross leadership and NAIA representatives. They learn to organize and market successful campus blood drives in order to increase blood donations in their communities. Student-athletes receive scholarship support provided by the Red Cross and State Farm Insurance. The program is designed to:
- Inspire a new generation of Red Cross volunteers and leaders
- Promote diversity of Red Cross Blood Services region boards of directors
- Champion a philanthropic cause
- Impact local communities
- Exemplify core values of the NAIA “Champions of Character” program
- Provide training, coaching, mentoring and networking opportunities
- Foster leadership opportunities
- A $2000 scholarship
- A two-week internship at the American Red Cross Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Roundtrip transportation to Washington, D.C., room, board, and stipend
- An opportunity to learn from top American Red Cross and NAIA representatives
- The privilege to sit on the Board of local American Red Cross blood regions throughout the country
- An opportunity to make a significant impact on campus and in the community
- Serve (student-athlete) as a Champions of Character Ambassador
- Attend the Red Cross/NAIA Collegiate Leadership academy in Washington, D.C., for two weeks in June
- Organize Red Cross Blood Drives/Activities on campus
- Serve (student-athlete) on the Red Cross Board for local Blood Region
- The Institution will facilitate a scholarship check presentation on campus, in partnership with the Red Cross
- Support and recognize the student-athlete if he/she decides to form a Red Cross Club on campus