IN A LUCKY MOTHER'S OWN WORDS:
I am writing to you to tell you about a life saving event that happened in my house on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 .
I had just returned home from work and was heading to the second floor of our house to see my children Madison, age 16, and Teddy, age 14, because they had just got home from school. Before going up I grabbed a couple baby carrots out of the bag and put one in my mouth. I continued upstairs to Teddy’s room to say hello and see how his day was.
I turned to go into Madison’s room and ask her about her day when I felt like a piece of the carrot went down the wrong way and I started coughing. I was coughing so hard that Madison said in a joking way "if you are going to throw up, please do it in the bathroom!" So I went into the closest bathroom while I continued to cough. That is when the carrot became lodged in the throat and I couldn't breathe. I had made several attempts to breath and I could not.
That was when Madison showed up at the bathroom door took one look at me and asked me if I was choking, I could not talk at all so I shook my head yes, She then asked if she needed to do abdominal thrusts. I shook my head yes again. At this point all I could feel was that I was getting ready to pass out. Madison had later told me she knew I was in trouble because my lips were blue. She came up behind me and started the abdominal thrusts on me. She had done three thrusts and the carrot broke free from being lodged. I could start breathing again.
Madison, my 16 year old daughter and a sophomore at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg, PA, had just saved my life!
She was very calm and confidant the entire time. She had taken a babysitting class from the Red Cross when she was 13 years old and remembered exactly what to do. She deserves to be recognized for the heroic act. If she was not home that day I probably would not be sitting her writing this. I owe my life to my amazing daughter!