The American Red Cross greatly appreciates the outpouring of support and interest in volunteering to help people affected by Hurricane Harvey. However, as torrential rain, tornados and flooding continue to affect the region, there remains a need for volunteers locally.
While the needs are based on current events and levels of ground support, the opportunities year-round are diverse. Volunteers constitute about 90 percent of the American Red Cross workforce; they make it possible to respond to the nearly 64,000 disasters every year.
Through the remainder of the week, the Red Cross will be offering numerous classes to fulfill current volunteer needs spanning the following categories:
Shelter Fundamentals: Shelter Fundamentals introduces the guidelines and procedures for setting up, running and closing a shelter during a disaster.
Psychological First Aid: This course provides a framework for understanding the factors that affect stress responses in disaster relief responders and those they serve.
Meet the Client: This course covers the services, including creating cases, for those affected by disasters based on the residents’ recovery plan. It covers common and rare situations.
Disaster Assessment: This course introduces the tasks and responsibilities of Disaster Assessment responders on a disaster relief operation.
Classes are available at Red Cross offices in the following cities:
Alexandria, 425 Bolton Ave., Alexandria LA 71301
• Thursday, August 31, 1-5 p.m. - Shelter Fundamentals
Baton Rouge, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd.
• Wednesday, August 30, 9 a.m.-noon is Meet The Client, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. is Psych First Aid, 5 p.m.-8 p.m. is DSO/ Shelter Fundamentals.
• Thursday, August 31, 9 a.m.-noon is Psych First Aid, 1-4 p.m. is DSO/ Shelter Fundamentals, 5-8 p.m. is Meet The Client.
• Friday, September 1, 9 a.m.-noon is Spanish Speaking - Shelter Fundamentals, 1-4 p.m. is Meet The Client, 5-8 p.m. is Psych First Aid.
New Orleans, 2640 Canal St., New Orleans, LA 70119
• Wednesday, August 30, 10a.m.-2 p.m. - Disaster Assessment Fundamentals
Shreveport, 805 Brook Hollow Drive Shreveport, LA
• Wednesday, August 30, noon-4:30 p.m. - Damage Assessment and Shelter Fundamentals
Those interested in volunteering do not need to pre-register and may sign up upon arrival. Questions about becoming a Red Cross volunteer or serving? Contact our Louisiana volunteer team at (800) 229-8191 ext. 3130.