You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Red Cross Honors Workers at Trane Who Saved Co-Worker with CPR

User News Image
Their quick response and action saved their co-worker's life Sept. 17

Pueblo, CO, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2014, — The American Red Cross presented the Red Cross Lifesaver Award Thursday, Oct. 16, to a team of quick responders who saved the life of a maintenance worker on Sept. 17, 2014. Phil Haake a maintenance worker at Trane collapsed fromcardiac arrest at the companies Pueblo, Colorado facility.

Red Cross health and safety training specialist Matthew Reeves presented the award to welders James Bradley and Jarred Wells, maintenance engineer Dennis McDonald, engineering specialist Domingo Lopez, assembly technician Nicole Sanchez, who are part of the company’s emergency response team. “Their quick response and action saved their co-workers life Sept. 17,” Reeves said. “This is a big deal and we want them to know that the Red Cross recognizes their courage and lifesaving work.”

Haake collapsed outside the maintenance office as he arrived for his afternoon shift. Fortunately for him, Trane has an active group of emergency responders who have willingly taken training for just such an emergency. Drawing from their training and experience, Jarrod Wells and James Bradley moved into action. The voice page went out for additional responders and within minutes Domingo Leon brought the automatic external defibrillator (AED). While CPR continued Leon set up the AED. “It had been awhile since my training and I was a little apprehensive about cutting his shirt,” Leon said. “But once I got through that it went smoother.”

The team continued CPR as the AED evaluated the patient and the first shock was given. A second shock was advised and given but still no response. CPR Continued and thoughts went through the team about how this would turn out. Todd Pilger is the Trane Safety Professional and provided oversight during the emergency. “We were worried after the first to shocks,” Pilger said. “The third shock did the trick but the team continued to do CPR till paramedics arrived.”

The team worked for 19 minutes until paramedics arrived, switching roles to avoid exertion and taking detailed notes to help the paramedics.

Obviously Phil Haake appreciates the work that the team did to save his life. Following surgery he has been resting and recuperating. “I’m doing good, I’m recovering,” he said from his home. “I probably wouldn’t be here without their efforts."

“Our team did an amazing job,” said Allyn Ward, Trane environmental health and safety manager. “They used their lifesaving skills to save a coworkers life and we will be forever grateful.”