Many people will be taking road trips, spending time at the beach and having cookouts this weekend. The American Red Cross offers safety tips to help everyone have a safe and enjoyable time.
“We encourage everyone to take a few simple, safety steps when spending time on the road, at the beach and at cookouts,” says Karen Hagan, CEO, American Red Cross Mid-Florida Region. “Start by downloading our free First Aid and Swim apps.”
The Red Cross has a series of mobile apps in case people experience severe weather or need expert advice on what to do during an emergency. Visit redcross.org/apps for more information. People should also follow these safety tips:
Tips for Safe Travel
• Take emergency supplies such as food and water, a flashlight and a first aid kit.
• Let someone know your destination, your route and when you expect to arrive.
• Buckle up and obey traffic signs.
• Avoid texting and talking on the phone while driving.
• Don’t drink and drive.
Tips for Safe Swimming
• Check weather and beach conditions throughout the day.
• Always swim in an area supervised by a lifeguard and obey all warnings.
• Provide close and constant attention to children in or near the water.
• Stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
• Young children, inexperienced swimmers and boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Tips for Safe Grilling
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Keep children and pets away from the grill.
• Never add charcoal starter fluid after coals have been ignited.
• Use long-handled utensils.
• Don’t leave the grill unattended while in use.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/mid-florida, like us on Facebook at facebook.com/RedCrossMidFlorida or follow us on Twitter @RedCrossMidFL.