The Easter weekend is approaching and many people will take to the highway to visit friends and family over the holiday. Roads will be busier than usual and the American Red Cross has travel tips everyone can follow to get to their destination safely.
Ten Steps to Highway Safety
1. Be well rested and alert.
2. Get your vehicle ready – clean the headlights, taillights, turn signals and windows.
3. Buckle up, slow down, don’t drive impaired.
4. Observe speed limits, follow the rules of the road, use caution in work zones.
5. Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
6. Pay attention – avoid distractions such as cell phones.
7. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches or in bad weather. Don’t overdrive your headlights.
8. Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
9. If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
10. If you are taking your pet with you, there are special things you should know to make your trip more enjoyable.
Travel Preparedness Tips
1. Don’t let your vehicle’s gas tank get too low.
2. Carry a Disaster Supply kit in your trunk.
3. Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
4. Pay attention to the weather forecast for your destination and find out what disasters may occur there.
5. Download our Red Cross apps to have important information on hand for different types of weather disasters and how to handle first aid emergencies.