The American Red Cross opened two additional shelters overnight in response to the continuing lake effect storm. The previous location at the Ripley Fire Hall remains open, and staff and volunteers are in contact with emergency managers across Western New York and have additional shelter locations on standby if needed.
Volunteers have cots, food, water and additional support available at the following locations:
· Goodell Fire Hall (35 overnight residents)
12847 Erie Street, Irving
· Sunset Bay Fire Company (20 overnight residents)
12798 Alleghany Road, Irving
· Ripley Fire Hall (2 overnight residents)
15 South State Street, Ripley
The Red Cross urges everyone to continue to heed travel bans and warnings and stay off the roads if possible, allowing highway crews and first responders to do their jobs and keep the community safe. Where travel is permitted, the Red Cross offers these tips about how to drive safely during a winter storm:
· Fill the vehicle’s gas tank and clean the lights and windows
· Avoid distractions such as cell phones
· Keep a disaster supply kit in the car, including cell phone chargers, snacks, water and blankets
· Don’t follow other vehicles too closely
· Don’t use cruise control
· Before you leave, let someone know where you are going, the route you plan to take, and when you expect to arrive.
Additional winter storm safety tips are available at www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.