The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at Fredonia High School, located at 425 East Main Road, Fredonia. Volunteers will have cots, food, water and additional support available. Red Cross staff and volunteers are in contact with emergency managers across Western New York and have additional shelter locations on standby if needed.
Lake Effect snow warnings remain in effect for much of Western New York, and travel bans and advisories are also in place for much of the region, including the NYS Thruway between Exit 59 (Dunkirk) and Exit 46 (Henrietta). The Red Cross urges everyone to heed these warnings and stay off the roads if possible. Where travel is permitted, the Red Cross offers these tips about how to drive safely during a winter storm:
· Fill the vehicle’s gas tank and clean the lights and windows
· Avoid distractions such as cell phones
· Keep a disaster supply kit in the car, including cell phone chargers, snacks, water and blankets
· Don’t follow other vehicles too closely
· Don’t use cruise control
· Before you leave, let someone know where you are going, the route you plan to take, and when you expect to arrive.
Additional winter storm safety tips are available at www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.