The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Ripley Fire Hall, located at 15 South State Street in Ripley. Volunteers will have cots, food, water and additional support available. Red Cross staff and volunteers are in contact with emergency managers across Western New York and have additional shelter locations on standby if needed.
Lake Effect snow warnings and advisories remain in effect for much of the area Friday morning, as do travel bans and advisories including the closure of parts of the NYS Thurway. The Red Cross urges everyone to heed these warnings and stay off the roads if possible, allowing highway crews and first responders to do their jobs and keep the community safe. Where travel is permitted, the Red Cross offers these tips about how to drive safely during a winter storm:
· Fill the vehicle’s gas tank and clean the lights and windows
· Avoid distractions such as cell phones
· Keep a disaster supply kit in the car, including cell phone chargers, snacks, water and blankets
· Don’t follow other vehicles too closely
· Don’t use cruise control
· Before you leave, let someone know where you are going, the route you plan to take, and when you expect to arrive.
Additional winter storm safety tips are available at www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.