The American Red Cross responded to seven fires over the Memorial Day holiday weekend in Connecticut and is providing assistance to 57 people. The fires were in Hartford, Bridgeport, New Britain, West Haven, East Hampton and Torrington.
The run of fires began on Friday with fires in Hartford, Bridgeport and New Britain.
In Hartford, the Red Cross provided four adults and two children with help for housing, food and clothing needs after a fire on Magnolia Street.
The Red Cross provided one adult with housing, food and clothing after a fire in Bridgeport on State Street.
The Red Cross assisted a New Britain family of two adults and three children with housing and food needs after a fire on Emmons Place on Friday.
On Saturday, the Red Cross provided housing, food and clothing assistance to eight people – five adults and three children – after a fire on Blohm Street in West Haven.
Early Sunday morning, a team from the Red Cross operated a shelter in East Hampton where 25 people evacuated to East Hampton High School after a fire broke out at the Bevin Bell Company. Red Cross shelter, health and emotional support workers provided snacks and other assistance to those evacuated due to the fire, as well as providing canteen service to firefighters at the scene.
On Sunday, the Red Cross responded to two separate fires in Torrington.
The Red Cross provided housing, food and clothing assistance to four adults and two children in three families after a fire on Beechwood Avenue.
The Red Cross is also helping a family of six with food, clothing and baby needs after a fire in Torrington on Calhoun Street.
The Red Cross is also providing comfort kits, containing age and gender appropriate personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other items a family might not have been able to gather in the rush to escape the fire. Children's kits include a stuffed toy.
“It has been a busy weekend for our volunteers,” said American Red Cross spokesperson Paul Shipman. “We are grateful that they gave of their time and compassion over a holiday weekend, when so many families were in need of help.”
Shipman said that the Red Cross was grateful to donors who have provided financial support for their emergency services. “We thank those who have generously donated so we have the funds in place to provide help for our neighbors when it is needed.”
Shipman urged people to place smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their homes and to be sure the batteries in the devices are fresh. “Planning and prevention are the most important steps to take in fire safety. Have escape routes from all the rooms in your home and have the proper equipment to warn you of danger. Please make sure you take these steps. And if you can do so, please make a donation to your American Red Cross so that we can be there to help when those in our community need it.”
American Red Cross disaster assistance is free of charge, a gift made possible by generous donations and the work of volunteers.