As winter weather makes its way through our region today and tomorrow, with rain, wind and snow possible throughout the New York area, the Red Cross urges residents to be prepared and safe.
With the risk of high winds, it is important to secure your lawn items and be prepared for power outages.
Additionally, as temperatures drop, the risk of home fires rises. Please review the following fire prevention tips.
• All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
• Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
• Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
• Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.
For more preparedness and safety tips, click here.