During the Thanksgiving holiday, there’s a new tradition families can add to their celebration – signing and sending cards to members of the U.S. military, veterans and their families through the 2011 Holiday Mail for Heroes program. For the fifth year in a row, the American Red Cross and Pitney Bowes are giving everyone an opportunity to let the military community know their service is appreciated, especially during the holiday season.
People can send cards bearing messages of cheer and appreciation until December 9. The Red Cross and Pitney Bowes will then screen the cards for hazardous materials, sort and package the cards, and deliver them to military bases and hospitals, veteran’s hospitals and other locations during the holidays.
The Holiday Mail for Heroes post office box is open and ready to receive cards. Please send all mail to:
Holiday Mail For Heroes P.O. Box 5456 Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
Please observe the following guidelines to ensure your card goes through the review process quickly:
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send letters.
- All cards should be postmarked no later than Friday, December 9, 2011. Please be sure to affix adequate postage.
- Ensure that all cards are signed.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals cannot be delivered through this program.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards, as the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos, as these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
- Please do not send cards with glitter.
- Participants should limit the number of cards they submit to 25 from any one person or 50 from any one class or group. If you are mailing a large quantity, please bundle the cards and place them in large mailing envelopes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
Additional ways to become involved with the campaign include connecting with fellow card senders through Facebook at www.facebook.com/redcross and Twitter at www.twitter.com/redcross using the hashtag #holidaymail. For more information and card requirements, please visit www.redcross.org/holidaymail.