Today the American Red Cross releases its all-inclusive Emergency App, giving users instant access to weather alerts and safety and preparedness information for 14 different emergencies all in one free, easy-to-use app for smart phones and tablets. Here are the top 10 reasons to download:
- IT’S FREE. Who wouldn’t want free 24/7 protection with emergency alerts and safety information?
- MONITOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. Parents, rejoice. The “Family Safe” feature lets you know if your loved ones are okay, even if they don’t have the app.
- EYE CANDY. Customize your weather alerts in various locations with photos of the loved one, or furry four-legged family member who lives there.
- WORKS ANYWHERE IN THE U.S. You can set 35 different emergency alerts to monitor multiple locations anywhere in the U.S.
- PLAN AND PREPARE. The “Make a Plan” feature helps families plan out what to do and where to go if a disaster strikes.
- HABLAMOS ESPAÑOL. Easily toggle between English and Spanish to use the language you’re most comfortable with in a stressful situation.
- NO CONNECTION, NO PROBLEM. If you can’t connect, you can still access the pre-loaded preparedness and response information from Red Cross experts.
- MAP IT OUT. Love maps? This app lets you overlay people, places, weather alerts, and open Red Cross shelters.
- BE A GOOD SON (OR DAUGHTER). Don’t wait for your mom to get her alert and ask if you’re okay. Ping her directly with the touch of a button using the “I’m Safe” feature.
- TORNADO SIREN. It’s loud. It’s awesome. It could save your life.
The free app can be downloaded by going to the app store for your smartphone or tablet or by going to redcross.org/apps. The “Family Safe” feature is also available on the new Apple Watch. And while apps can help prepared someone for disasters, it’s important to remember that downloading any of the Red Cross apps is not a substitute for training. To learn more about or register for Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED courses, visit redcross.org/TakeAClass .
Download it today through the app stores or by going toredcross.org/apps – and ask your friends and family to download it, too. We want this app to have five-star ratings, so please use the rating feature in the app’s Info section to leave your positive feedback!
The Emergency App also features 35 emergency alerts users can customize for their own location and for where friends and family live; a single map which provides shelter locations and weather updates; emergency first aid information; and water safety tips. There’s even a “Home Fires” section which provides steps to prevent fires, protect loved ones and a resource guide for what to do if a fire occurs.
“Family Safe” is a new, unique feature that allows the app user to notify loved ones who are in an area affected by an emergency or disaster. The recipient can instantly see the alert details as well as specific “what to do now” steps, and then respond with either “I’m safe” or “I’m not safe.” This feature works even if the recipient has not downloaded the Emergency App. In addition to smartphones and tablets, this feature is available for the new Apple Watch and is scheduled to be available in the Apple Watch App Store starting April 24.