You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Belleville Family Story

Fire Safety

On Monday, February 23, 2015, little Sawyer White passed away when his Belleville home caught fire. A week and a half after the heartbreaking loss, Sawyer's parents contacted the American Red Cross to get involved in an upcoming smoke alarm instal project that would be happening in their community. Danielle and Chris White worked with Char DeWitt, Gift Planning Officer and Kim Brown, Volunteer/donor to install and educate families. A total of 41 volunteers and staff came to support. A total of 83 smoke alarms were installed and 10 batteries were replaced in Belleville homes. Danielle told me it was important for them to be part of the campaign because they are a "young family" and never prepared for a home fire. They are hopeful that by sharing their story, others will prepare. Check out this video to hear the full story. []