In late October 2016, the Squires family from Villisca, Iowa, had their lives turned upside down. A spark from Michael Squires’ truck caught fire and spread to the interior of the house. The family had to evacuate their home for about two weeks while damage was being repaired.
“We weren’t able to move back in the house right away,” said Michael Squires. “We didn’t have any money for food and we were in a hotel.”
The American Red Cross was able to support the Squires family by providing money for food, clothing and lodging. Squires said his family felt supported throughout the entire process. Whether it was getting their next meal or making sure that their children had toys to play with, the Red Cross did not let them down.
“I was taken aback with how nice everyone was,” said Squires. “One [volunteer] was so nice she brought tears to my eyes.”
Seeing what all the Red Cross had done for his family, Squires wanted to give back. He reached out to his local chapter about volunteering opportunities. After seeing the effects of a house fire on his own family he wanted to make sure that everyone received the same love and support his family had received.