PORTLAND, Ore. – With earthquake and natural disaster awareness at an all-time high in the Pacific Northwest, the American Red Cross and NW Natural will host seven Get Ready preparedness events across Oregon and Southwest Washington.
September is National Preparedness Month and Get Ready events are designed to help the public to act now to prepare for natural disasters and other emergencies. Local preparedness groups and emergency advocates will share useful tips for building a kit, emergency communications, natural gas safety and much more.
“Preparedness starts at home,” said Amy Shlossman, chief executive officer for the American Red Cross Cascades Region. “National Preparedness Month and the Get Ready events provide important information about the steps every family can take to prepare themselves for disasters big and small.”
Get Ready is open to the general public and free lunch will be provided. The first 100 families at each event will receive a free emergency kit/tube from NW Natural. Attendees will also have the chance to enter a drawing to win an American Red Cross emergency kit.
“Our goal is for community members to get the tools they need to get ready for a disaster,” said Von Summers, NW Natural community affairs manager. “Experts say the Big One is overdue in our region, so helping the community prepare is crucial more now than ever before.”
Local fire departments, police departments, and other emergency teams will join the American Red Cross Cascades Region and NW Natural at the following dates, times and locations:
Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016:
· Get Ready Salem – 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the Oregon State Capitol Steps and Mall in Salem.
· Get Ready Vancouver – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CRESA Building, 710 W. 13th Street in Vancouver.
· Get Ready Coos Bay – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Coos Bay Fire Department, 450 Elrod Ave. in Coos Bay.
· Get Ready North Coast – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Warrenton Fire Station in Warrenton.
Saturday, Sept.17, 2016:
· Get Ready Gresham – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at City of Gresham city hall outdoor area.
· Get Ready Lincoln County – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the St. Clair Station (formerly Taft Station) in Lincoln City.
Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016:
· Get Ready The Dalles – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Mid-Columbia Fire & Rescue, 1400 W. 8th Street in The Dalles.