Pet First Aid Awareness Month is the perfect time for dog and cat owners to download the American Red Cross Pet First Aid App. The free app provides instant access to expert guidance on how to maintain their pet’s health, what to do in emergencies, and how to include pets in their emergency preparedness plans.
“Many pets are considered part of the family,” said Kevin Brown, regional communications director of the American Red Cross of Western Pennsylvania. “Owners can use our app to help keep their pets safe by learning what emergency supplies to have, when they should contact their veterinarian, and where to find a pet care facility or pet-friendly hotel.”
Users learn how to assemble a pet first aid kit and an emergency kit. Recommended items include leashes, food, water, toys, medical records and an animal carrier for evacuation purposes.
Owners also have access to step-by-step instructions, videos and images for more than 25 common first aid and emergency situations including how to treat wounds, control bleeding, and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies.
Other features in the app allow pet owners to:
· Create a pet profile including tag identification number, photos, list of medications and instructions.
· Use the list of early warning signs to learn when to call their veterinarian.
· Find emergency pet care facilities or alternate veterinarians with the ‘animal hospital locator.’
· Locate pet-friendly hotels in case they have to evacuate in an emergency or when they travel.
· Test their knowledge with interactive quizzes and earn badges that they can share on their social networks along with their favorite picture of their pet.
A “Top 5 Features of the Pet First Aid App” is available here.
The Red Cross has made great strides in making emergency information available whenever and wherever people need it. The Pet First Aid App is sponsored by American Pet Nutrition and can be downloaded by texting ‘GETPET’ to 90999, by going to redcross.org/apps, or by searching for ‘American Red Cross’ in app stores.