Did you have flooding or water damage from last night's storm? Follow these tips for a safe clean-up:
- Wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and rubber boots.
- Be careful when moving furnishings or debris since they may be water logged and heavier.
- Throw out all food, beverages and medicine exposed to flood waters and mud, including canned goods and containers with food or liquid that have been sealed shut. When in doubt, throw it out.
- Some cleaning solutions can cause toxic fumes and other hazards if mixed together. If you smell a strong odor or your eyes water from the fumes or mixed chemicals, open a window and get out of your home.
- Throw out items that absorb water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected (e.g. mattresses, carpeting, cosmetics, stuffed animals and baby toys).
- Remove all drywall and insulation that has been in contact with flood waters.
- Clean hard surfaces (e.g. flooring, countertops and appliances) thoroughly with hot water and soap or a detergent.