The American Red Cross will open two shelters at 4:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon based on increased need from the community following flooding. Anyone impacted by the flooding is urged to come to a Red Cross shelter where they will have a safe place to stay, a place to sleep, a hot meal, minor first aid, referrals and a shoulder to lean on.
Red Cross Shelter Locations (Open 24 hours):
F Street Community Center
1225 F. Street - Lincoln, NE 68508
Belmont Elementary School
3425 North 14th Street - Lincoln, NE 68521
For help in locating a shelter, call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm or download the Red Cross Shelter App. When disaster strikes know when and where shelters have been opened to provide assistance by downloading the Red Cross Shelter App. If you have an iPhone you can download the app, it uses data about open shelters from the American Red Cross National Shelter System (NSS). The NSS contains information about 60,000 potential disaster facilities and is used to track and report on shelter information during disasters. The NSS enables emergency managers and disaster relief workers to identify relevant information for all shelters in use and to develop effective response strategies before disasters strike.
Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
• Prescriptions and emergency medications
• Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
• Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents
• Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
• Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
• Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
During a storm:
• Listen and watch for critical information from the National Weather Service.
• Bring pets inside. Move other animals and livestock to sheltered areas.
• Stay inside. If people must go out, wear warm, loose-fitting, lightweight clothing in layers.
• Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep emergency supplies in vehicles.
Make a Donation
The Red Cross depends on financial donations to help in times of disaster. Those who want to help people affected by disasters like tornadoes, floods and wildfires, as well as countless crises at home and around the world, can make a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. This gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to disasters. Visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS; people can also text the word “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Contributions may also be sent to local American Red Cross chapters or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013.