American Red Cross New Hampshire Region’s Disaster Action Team responded to a fire in Dover today. The fire, which occurred at 1135 Lilac Lane, heavily damaged an apartment.
Red Cross Disaster Action Team volunteers Emily Wood and Joan Donhauser responded to the apartment fire to provide one adult with immediate financial assistance for food and lodging.
The American Red Cross New Hampshire Disaster Action Team volunteers are available to respond at any time of day or night to disasters in their communities or surrounding towns provide disaster relief and emotional comfort to those affected by emergencies or disasters.
During extremely cold weather, the risk for a fire in someone’s home can increase. To avoid fire danger, you should remember the following:
· Never use a stove or oven to heat the home.
· If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
· If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
· Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
· Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment someone wants to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or visit us on Twitter at @NHRedCross.