Red Cross New Hampshire’s Disaster Action Team responded to a fire in Atkinson. The single-family home fire, which occurred at 12 Line Brook Road, has temporarily displaced four adults.
Red Cross volunteers Wayne McCarthy and Ginger Hilow responded to the fire to provide the four adults with immediate financial assistance for food and lodging. One dog and multiple cats were safe from the fire.
The American Red Cross New Hampshire Disaster Action Team volunteers are specially trained to respond to disasters at any time of day or night in their communities or surrounding towns to provide disaster relief and emotional comfort to those affected by emergencies or disasters.
During extremely cold weather, the risk for a fire in someone’s home can increase. To avoid fire danger, you should remember the following:
• Never use a stove or oven to heat the home.
• If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
• If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
• Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
• Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment someone wants to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/nh or visit us on Twitter at @NHRedCross.