This past Saturday, 238 NYC firehouses and EMS stations opened their doors to the general public in honor of FDNY’s 150-year anniversary. Standing alongside NYC firefighters at nearly every location were Red Cross volunteers, on-hand to promote fire safety and schedule free smoke and carbon monoxide alarm installations. As a result of these efforts, more than 1000 life-saving alarms will be installed in the coming weeks.
This effort was part of a Red Cross safety program to reduce fire deaths and injuries by promoting the use of smoke alarms and helping residents with their escape plans.
“We are proud to stand with FDNY and celebrate this tremendous 150-year milestone while helping save lives,” said Josh Lockwood, Regional CEO, Greater NY Red Cross.
The Red Cross knows all too well the impact that home fires can have on our communities. Anywhere between five and twenty times a day, the Red Cross works together with NYC firefighters following local fires and other emergencies. As FDNY heroes put out the flames and keep residents safe, Red Cross volunteers are on scene as well to help our neighbors recover. And as we have seen in recent weeks, these incidents all too often prove fatal.
“Thank you to the Red Cross for all they do to help New Yorkers after disasters large and small,” said FDNY Commissioner Nigro, “and thank you for working with the FDNY to make fire safety a priority here in our great City.”
Click here to watch a special thank you-message for Red Cross volunteers on behalf of Commissioner Nigro.
Thank you to all who supported these efforts, including 260 Red Cross volunteers. And thank you to Red Cross corporate and community partners who helped mobilize volunteers: All Hands Volunteers, City Year, Friends of Rockaway, Habitat for Humanity—New York City, Henry Street Settlement, H&M, JCC of the Rockaway Peninsula, JetBlue, NY Cares, NYC Service, Rebuilding Together NYC, Siller Foundation, Wells Fargo, World Cares Center and Zurich.
Click here for photos from the day’s events.
Click Here for tips on how to prevent home fires.