Oklahoma City, November 5, 2013 — The weather is starting to cool down across Oklahoma and the American Red Cross wants to remind the community to be safe when heating homes. Heating sources are the leading cause of house and apartment fires during the cold weather.
Heat sources such as space heaters, fireplaces or wood and coal stoves can pose a fire hazard. To reduce the risk of heating related fires, the Red Cross recommends keeping anything that can burn such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least three feet away from heating equipment and fireplaces and to never leave these unattended.
“Since November 1, volunteers have responded to 10 house fires and one apartment fire across the region,” said Janienne Bella, Central and Western Oklahoma Regional CEO. “We tend to see more house fires as it cools down, so we encourage the community to follow some simple steps to help prevent fires.”
The Red Cross wants the number of house fires not to rise as the temperatures drop, so it offers the following fire prevention tips:
For more Red Cross fire safety and preparedness information, visit www.redcross.org/homefires.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. To learn more go online to www.redcross.org/okc.