FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JACKSON, MISS., FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2013— With Tropical Storm Karen taking aim at parts of south Mississippi, the American Red Cross Mississippi Region is making sure volunteers and supplies are pre-positioned and on standby to open shelters across the state if needed. The Red Cross urges individuals and families to take personal preparedness steps and download the Hurricane App to get ready for the storm now. The free app, can be used on both iPhone and Android platforms.
“The Red Cross Hurricane app gives local and real time information for coastal residents and those who might be travelling over the next few days to areas affected by Karen,” said Sandra Hodge, CEO for the Mississippi Region. “Remote weather alerts can also help give peace of mind to people who winter near the forecasted storm track and those who have relatives and friends in these coastal areas.”
Once people download the Hurricane App, they have instant access to critical action steps instructing what to do before, during and after hurricanes even without mobile connectivity. Users can monitor personalized weather alerts in locations where family and friends reside and share information with others in their social networks who might also need it.
Features of the app include:
• Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories that users can share on social networks;
• Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
• Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
• Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
• One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to reassure family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way;
• Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
• Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
• Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The Hurricane App can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross. National Red Cross experts in health, safety and preparedness have thoroughly reviewed and field tested the information and advice provided in this app.
For more information on disaster preparedness visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800 RED CROSS.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/mississippi or visit us on Twitter at @RedCrossMiss.