PHILADELPHIA, PA, APRIL 2, 2012 — The American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania is conducting a Fire Safety Walkthrough around the site of last night’s fatal fire on the 100 block of Everturn Lane in Levittown, Bucks County. The Red Cross conducts Fire Safety Walkthroughs after a fatal fire to raise awareness about fire safety and prevention. Sadly this morning’s fatal fire in Levittown is a tragic reminder of the importance of having working smoke detectors AND an escape plan.
Red Cross volunteers will distribute fire safety kits, which include tips for preventing fires in both English and Spanish and a 9-volt battery for smoke alarms. Missing smoke detectors or smoke detectors without a working battery are the leading cause of fire deaths. Providing fire safety tips and batteries are just two of many ways the Red Cross works year round to reduce fires and fire deaths in our community.
The generosity of PECO and First Niagara help make these Fire Safety Walkthroughs possible.
Visuals will include volunteers going door to door and handing out or leaving fire safety kits.
Who: American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania employees and volunteers
What: Going door-to-door to hand out fire safety kits and raise awareness about fire safety and prevention
When: 3:00 p.m., Today, April 2, 2012
Where: Around the 100 block of Everturn Lane in Levittown, PA
The American Red Cross in Philadelphia shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies more than 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
Contact: Dave Schrader (215) 299-4042 or 4889, Dave.Schrader2@redcross.org