Central Coast, CA (May 11, 2015) - The American Red Cross of the Central Coast is honored to announce that the 2015 Clara Barton Award goes to Sonja Reetz of Santa Cruz.
The Clara Barton Award recognizes a volunteer for service in a series of leadership positions held over a period of years. This volunteer has made significant contributions, while also working with other volunteers and paid staff in developing and implementing effective programs in a resourceful manner, enabling the American Red Cross to consistently provide valuable service to the community.
Sonja has spearheaded the Heroes Breakfast Nomination Committee for the past five years. She has continued to bring in new volunteers in order to find qualified nominations for the selection committee to review. Sonja’s dedication to the American Red Cross and her willingness to go the extra mile has made her an inspiring volunteer and is well deserving of the American Red Cross Clara Barton Award.
Outstanding volunteers honored at the Central Coast Volunteer Awards and Recognition Event on April 30 at Bargetto's Winery in Soquel also include:
• Disaster Cycle Services Award: Sue Pierce (Los Gatos)
• Disaster Cycle Services Response Award: Lyle & RosieLee Crosley (Santa Cruz)
• Disaster Cycle Services Chapter Readiness Award: Dave Pellett (Seaside)
• Red Cross Events Award: Cherie Robideaux (Santa Cruz)
• International Services Award: Tanya Kelley (Monterey)
• Service to Armed Forces Award: Anne Powell (Carmel)
• Administration and Support Award: Haydee Vitacolonna (Pebble Beach)
• Collaboration Award: Russell Cole (Boulder Creek)
• Teamwork Award: River Gurtin (Pebble Beach)
• Blood Services Volunteer of the Year: Sandy Peters (Watsonville)
• New Volunteer of the Year: Sandy Williamson (Aptos)
• Youth of the Year Award: Quinn Cachola (Santa Cruz)
Pictures from the event: https://flic.kr/s/aHska7qcyt
About the American Red Cross of the Central Coast
The American Red Cross of the Central Coast is a non-profit, humanitarian organization that depends on the generous contributions of time and money from Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito County residents and companies to provide services and programs that help our community to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies. For more information on disaster preparedness, health and safety classes, volunteer opportunities, and financial contributions, visit our website at redcross.org/centralcoast or call us at 831-462-2881. You may also find us on Facebook and Twitter.