Rohnert Park, CA (May 10, 2016) - The American Red Cross of the Bay Area and California Northwest are proud to present the Clara Barton Award to Steve Countouriotis of Petaluma.
The Clara Barton Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership recognizes a volunteer for service in a series of leadership positions held over a period of years, enabling the American Red Cross to provide valuable service to the community.
Steve’s volunteer role with the American Red Cross began a little over 50 years ago. His passion for the Red Cross started in San Francisco when he was a youth. A native of San Francisco, Steve first served as a youth board member with the Golden Gate Chapter of the Red Cross in the 1960s. In 1965 he experienced his first formal leadership training by attending the Red Cross Leadership Center at the Valley of the Moon Camp. When he was a junior and senior at George Washington High School in San Francisco, he became a youth representative on the Board of Directors of the Golden Gate Chapter.
In addition to being the American Red Cross of the California Northwest Board Chair, Steve has made every effort to attend all events within our chapter’s boundaries. This meant walking in a parade in Sonoma County or a trip 8 hours all the way up to Crescent City for the 4th of July Parade. His assignments throughout the region required putting on a vest and helping install smoke detectors at numerous Home Preparedness Campaign events. Steve facilitated Services to the Armed Forces at the U.S. Coast Guard Base at Two Rock where he currently works. He went to both the Rocky and Valley Fire to talk with our clients and to thank our volunteers for their services and is also a driving force in growing our youth services presents in the chapter. Steve’s belief in the mission and is working to insure all Lines of Services are present throughout the Chapter is truly commendable.
Other outstanding volunteers honored at the Volunteer Awards and Recognition Event on May 1 at Sally Tomatoes in Rohnert Park include:
• Good Neighbor and Partnership Award: Tzu Chi
• Volunteer Leadership Award: Jodi Wilson of San Rafael, Mary Desautels of Caspar, and Angie Rivera of Santa Rosa
• New Volunteer of the Year Award: Tanya Sullivan of Petaluma
• Disaster Cycle Service, Outstanding Support Award: Dorothy McKoin of Sebastopol
• Disaster Cycle Service, Exceptional Response Award: Kevin Sagar of Fairfax
• Administration and Support Award: Jason Williams of Santa Rosa
• Teamwork Award: Casework Team
• Community Engagement Award: Micheal Hani of Ukiah
• Youth and Young Adult Award: Vanessa Starr of Rohnert Park
• Biomedical Services Volunteer of the Year: Deb Bonner of San Rafael and Nancy Haro of San Rafael
• Gene Beck: Memorial Volunteer of the Year: Dave Simmons of Rohnert Park
Pictures from the event can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskw31kku