American Canyon, CA (May 9, 2016) - The American Red Cross of the Bay Area and California Northwest are proud to present the Clara Barton Award to Lee Woods of Vacaville.
The Clara Barton Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership recognizes a volunteer for service in a series of leadership positions held over a period of years, enabling the American Red Cross to provide valuable service to the community.
Originally joining the American Red Cross in 1957 in France as a Gray Lady, Lee acted as a hostess and provided recreational services to wounded soldiers in military hospitals for two years before coming back to the United States. Coming back to the Red Cross in 1999, she has held many positions over the years in support of the organization. As a Station Manager at Travis Air Force Base’s Red Cross office, she helped support Service to the Armed Forces casework and briefings while serving in Disaster Services as Disaster Chair, a DAT responder and caseworker. She has also been a Community Preparedness presenter, Community Events volunteer, Leadership Council member, and responder deploying nationally to such events as 9/11, Superstorm Sandy, and Colorado Floods.
A fiercely loyal and devoted volunteer, she has sustained her commitment and love of the Red Cross mission even through years of change. Highly respected by her peers, she exemplifies the spirit and drive that Clara Barton had when founding the American Red Cross. Her multitude of leadership positions over the years working with diverse communities has demonstrated a relentless drive for meeting whatever challenges presented to her.
Other outstanding volunteers honored at the Volunteer Awards and Recognition Event on April 19 at the Chardonnay Golf Club and Vineyards in American Canyon include:
• Good Neighbor and Partnership Award: Indian Springs Resort and Spa; The Haven Seventh-day Adventist Church; Andy Wilde of Napa
• Volunteer of the Year Award: Annie McCallum of Napa
• New Volunteer Award: Jody Kimbrel of Vacaville
• Disaster Cycle Service, Outstanding Support Award: Lynda Hoppenrath of Vallejo
• Disaster Cycle Service, Exceptional Leadership Award: Alzinia Pailin of Fairfield
• Disaster Cycle Extraordinary Commitment and Dedication Award: Patrick Timmons of Vacaville
• Administration and Support Award: Rita Rasmussen of Vacaville
• Teamwork Award: Dave Pellett of Vallejo
• Volunteer Supervisor Award: Debbie Yee of Fairfield
• Community Engagement Award: Diane Delaney of Benicia
• Collaboration Award: Sanamjit Bains of Benicia
Pictures from the event can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskz3nbwx