Santa Cruz, CA (May 13, 2016) - The American Red Cross of the Central Coast is proud to present the Clara Barton Award for Volunteer Leadership to Jill Hoffman of Santa Cruz.
This award recognizes a volunteer for service in a series of leadership positions held over a period of years. This volunteer shall have made significant contributions while working with other volunteer and paid staff in developing and implementing effective programs in a resourceful manner which has enabled the American Red Cross to provide valuable service to the community.
Jill began volunteering with the American Red Cross 35 years ago. She was spurred to action when a devastating storm hit Santa Cruz County and left 22 dead, many more homeless. Since then she has served around the world as a delegate in the International Federation of the Red Cross and has served as Assistant to the Social Welfare Advisor at their Secretariat base in Geneva.
Locally, she supervises CSU Monterey Bay and Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey interns since 2008 helping to support the work of Red Cross International Services programs. The successes of her teams have allowed us to pilot a Measles Initiative program where licensed nurses teach the public about the importance of Measles inoculations.
As an International Services Chair and a Disaster Health Services lead for Monterey/San Benito County, she continues to serve as an example of inclusiveness. Like Clara Barton herself, Jill has a heart for the community.
Other outstanding volunteers honored at the American Red Cross of the Central Coast Volunteer Awards and Recognition Event on April 28 at the Quail Lodge and Golf Club in Carmel also include:
• Disaster Cycle Services Outstanding Support Award: Ann Sydes of Aptos and Jill Petker of Carmel
• Disaster Cycle Services Exceptional Response Award: Tiki Dellamore of Santa Cruz
• Disaster Cycle Services Exceptional Leadership Award: Dan Kemper of Prunedale
• Disaster Cycle Services Extraordinary Commitment and Dedication Award: Rosielee Crosley of Santa Cruz
• International Services Award: Steve Perle of Monterey
• Service to the Armed Forces Award: Stanley Jacques of Salinas
• Biomedical Service Award: Lucy Santina of Santa Cruz
• Biomedical Services Volunteer Award: Jo Ann Whittle of Scotts Valley and Karen Williams of Aptos
• First Aid Services Team Award: Emilio Barajas of Watsonville
• Administration and Support Award: Sandy French of Santa Cruz and Donna Webster of Royal Oaks
• Communications Award: Virginia Becker of Los Gatos
• Teamwork Award: Craig Jenni of Watsonville
• Collaboration Award: Howard Yancey of Felton
• Volunteer of the Year Award: Gary Roberts of Soquel
• New Volunteer Award: Jamshid Kiani of Felton
• Youth of the Year Award: Seaside High School Club, Ruby Nink of Aptos, and Kiani Radliff of Capitola
• Volunteer Leadership Award: Sandy Williamson of Aptos
• Good Neighbor and Partnership Award: Chief Brian Dempsey, Seaside Fire Department of Seaside
Pictures from the event can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvWYCuc