American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties: Month in Review – January 2018
SAN DIEGO – February 2, 2018 – The American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties operates with the mission to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. Throughout January 2018, the following key programs and services were provided throughout the region which covers all of San Diego and Imperial Counties as well as American Samoa:
Responded to 32 incidents, with 25 of those being home fires
- Served 64 families including 168 individuals
- Provided canteen services twice serving snacks, meals and drinks to 25 first responders and 30 residents
- Provided Pillowcase Preparedness presentations to 466 elementary school students in January
- The Disaster Services’ “Training Tournament” is scheduled throughout February and offers several classes to volunteers for personal and professional development with a focus on leadership skills. The tournament kicks off on Saturday, Feb. 3 with keynote speaker Garry Ridge of WD-40. New volunteers are welcome and can apply at redcross.org/volunteer
SERVICE TO ARMED FORCES (SAF):
- Provided 2,301 services to 1,709 military members, veterans and spouses
- Conducted 10 outreach and pre-deployment briefings, fulfilling 100 percent of command requests and reaching over 925 military families; also conducted two resiliency workshops
- Service to the Armed Forces caseworkers conducted family follow up on 162 emergency cases for the San Diego Region
- Completed and signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton that will allow the Red Cross to begin actively recruiting volunteers to serve in this important military treatment facility
- Local Red Cross services were supported by volunteers who spent a total of 5,819 hours throughout the month of January to aid the Red Cross mission.
- The January 2018 Volunteer of the Month is Carlo Toribio. Carlo joined the local Red Cross volunteer team in May 2017 as a volunteer photographer. He has taken incredible photos at the Volunteer Appreciation Night at the Padres, Real Heroes, Prepare San Diego announcement and more. Many of his photos can be viewed on the local Red Cross Flickr page. He is quick to accept projects whenever asked and enthusiastic about helping the Red Cross through his talent.
WOMEN, INFANTS & CHILDREN (WIC) PROGRAM:
- A total of 24,351 women, infants, and children received nutrition counseling and support in January 2018
- For more than 40 years, the local Red Cross has administered the WIC program in San Diego County. WIC is a supplemental nutrition assistance program that provides families in the most vulnerable communities with access to nutrition education, breastfeeding support, community resources, and groceries.
Love Your Heart Blood Pressure Screenings – Wednesday, February 14
- In partnership with Live Well San Diego, the local Red Cross HQ (3950 Calle Fortunada, San Diego, 92123) will be one of the locations providing free blood pressure screenings and helping residents take charge of their heart health
Harlem Globetrotters’ Great Assist – Friday, February 16 and Friday, February 23
- The American Red Cross is in the second season with the Harlem Globetrotters as its official charity partner. The Harlem Globetrotters will feature the Red Cross at more than 300 games throughout the basketball season, including in San Diego on February 16 and February 23. The game will feature a Red Cross PSA, in-game player announcement and more
San Diego Gulls’ Red Cross Night – Friday, March 16
- The puck drops at 7:00pm and local Red Cross volunteers and supporters will be honored throughout the night, courtesy of Wawanesa Insurance. All tickets purchased through sandiegogulls.com/redcross will benefit the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties
Disaster Preparedness Academy – Friday, March 23
- At this fourth annual event, participants will gain valuable skills and insights necessary to protect their business, employees, family, and community from the potential impacts of disasters or emergencies. Presented by the American Red Cross Business Leadership Council and the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce. More information is available at redcross.org/sandiego/DPA
For more information about the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties, please visit redcross.org/sandiego.
About the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties
The American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties is the most trusted community service organization in education, preparation and response to natural disasters and human emergencies. With the public’s ongoing support, we provide lifesaving preparedness training; disaster relief services; services to deployed military personnel and their families, and nutritional counseling through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Through Prepare San Diego, a regional resiliency initiative, the Red Cross brings together key community and business leaders from the region to create a sustainable network that encourages preparedness, carries out response and recovery plans, and strives for resiliency in the face of disaster, meeting all aspects of the disaster lifecycle. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/sandiego or connect with us on Facebook and YouTube and Twitter.
# # #