SAN DIEGO, June 19, 2016 — In response to the Border Fire burning in Southeast San Diego County, American Red Cross disaster workers have opened a shelter this evening at Campo Elementary School, located at 1654 Buckman Springs Road, Campo, CA 91906.
The shelter will provide for the immediate needs of those affected by the fire who do not have a place to stay tonight. Services include a safe and clean place to stay, food, hydration, comfort kits with personal hygiene items, emotional support and health services. The shelter will remain open for as long as there is a need.
The local American Red Cross is dedicated to assisting those affected by disasters. We are working closely with local emergency management and our partners to coordinate relief efforts. Trained Red Cross volunteers and staff are on call round-the-clock and ready to assist in various aspects including sheltering, feeding, disaster assessment, casework, and more. The San Diego/Imperial Counties chapter responds to about one disaster every 24 hours.
Tips - Wildfire
Responding During a Wildfire
· Listen to local radio and television stations for updated emergency information.
· Check emergency kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply. Keep it nearby.
· Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. You don’t have to wait for an official evacuation order. If you feel threatened, be sure that you leave with time to spare.
· Confine all pets to one room so you can quickly and easily take them and go if you need to evacuate.
· Back your car into the driveway for a safer and more efficient way out. Park in an open space facing the direction of escape.
· Keep indoor air clean by closing windows and doors to prevent outside smoke from getting in.
· Visit redcross.org or download the free Red Cross Emergency App for more preparedness tips and safety checklists, localizable alerts, Shelter Locator and more.
· Follow @SDICRedCross on Twitter for the latest updates on our disaster relief efforts, shelter information, and more.
About the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties
The American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties is the most trusted community service organization in education, preparation and response to natural disasters and human emergencies. With the public’s ongoing support we provide lifesaving preparedness training; disaster relief services; services to deployed military personnel and their families; and nutritional counseling through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Through Prepare San Diego, a four-year regional resiliency initiative, the Red Cross brings together key community and business leaders from the region to create a sustainable network that encourages preparedness, carries out response and recovery plans, and strives for resiliency in the face of disaster, meeting all aspects of the disaster lifecycle. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org/sandiego or connect with us on Facebook and YouTube and Twitter.
# # #