FAIRFAX, VA – JULY 6, 2016 — The American Red Cross in the National Capital Region recently held its Annual Meeting in the historic Board of Governors Hall at the American Red Cross National Headquarters in Washington D.C. Some of the evening’s notable speakers included Chief Gregory Dean of the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department, as well as human and civil rights activist and a radio host for SiriusXM’s Urban View, Joe Madison. We also heard remarks from American Red Cross in the National Capital Region’s Chief Executive Officer, Linda Mathes, as well as Vice President, Worldwide Public Sector, Amazon Web Services and Chairman of the Board, Teresa Carlson. Kristy Hardy, a Maryland resident who learned CPR from the Red Cross, was also presented with the Certificate of Merit for recently using that training to save her husband’s life. The Certificate of Merit is the highest recognition the American Red Cross provides as it honors someone who has saved another human being’s life and it is signed by the Honorary Chairman of the Board of Governors who is the President of the U.S., Barack Obama and the Chairman of the Board of Governors, Bonnie McElveen-Hunter.
The Annual Meeting included the election of new candidates to the Board of Directors, as well as special recognitions for Teresa Carlson, who will be stepping down as Chairman of the Board at the end of the month. The Board of Directors elected members to the Executive Committee and the Chairman’s Advisory Council of the National Capital Region. We welcome new Board members Rick Calder, Ki Ho Kang, and James Maiwurm and re-elected Cheryl Campbell, Sherry Hwang, Carl Mayfield, and James Sheaffer to the Board. The following Board of Directors will serve from July 1, 2016 until June 30, 2017.
2016 - 2017 Executive Committee:
• Dick Duvall, Chairman of the Board - Holland & Knight
• Juan Carlos Iturregui, Vice Chair - Dentons US LLP
• James Sheaffer, Vice Chair - Sheaffer and Associates
• Karla Bousquet, Community Outreach - IBM Corporation
• Greg Baroni, Nominations, Board Development & Engagement - Attain LLC
• Anna Maria Larsen, Nominations, Board Development & Engagement- Lumenis Partners, LLC
• Rebecca Shambaugh, Philanthropy - Shambaugh Leadership
• Barbara Rudin, Mission Capacity Building – ICF International
2016 - 2017 Board of Directors:
• Patty Baisden - QMT Windchimes
• Sean Breslin - AvalonBay Communities
• Cheryl Campbell - CGI
• Amy Caro - Northrop Grumman Information Systems
• Richard Calder - GTT
• Patrice D’Eramo - Cisco
• Sherry Hwang - Pyramid Systems, Inc.
• Renee Bailey Iacona - AstraZeneca
• Ki Ho Kang - KIHOMAC
• James Maiwurm - Squire Patton Boggs
• Deana Mary - PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
• Carl Mayfield - RLJ Lodging Trust
• Susan Penfield - Booz Allen Hamilton
• Susan Santana - AT&T Services, Inc.
• Bruce Schutte - Wine Pro Tours
• Matthew Vaughan - Leidos
New Chairman’s Advisory Council Members elected:
• Teresa Carlson - Amazon Web Services
• Dana Chipman - Federal Judicial Center
• Joyce Shields - Hay Group (retired)
• Linda Solomon - Linda Keene Solomon & Associates LLC
• Laverne Webb - The Webb Alliance
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.